ICMS Fact Sheet May 2021
About The Organization’s Structure
- ICMS is a Federally Qualified Health Center which allows us to provide health care for the community using a sliding fee scale that ensures access for people without insurance or with limited income. It also obligates ICMS to a set of rigorous quality standards, governance requirements and annual audits.
- ICMS is established as private, non-profit 501c3 corporation operated for the public welfare.
- The organization is governed by a Board of Trustees consisting of 11 members the majority of whom reside on Vinalhaven year-round.
- The current Board is well-informed, well rounded and acts as a whole Board when they discuss and evaluate the needs of the organization. They conduct their deliberations with transparency and involvement from all Board members.
About the Finances
- The ICMS relies on a combination of revenue sources including insurance reimbursements, federal grants and contributions from individuals and foundations.
- It does not receive any of its support from local property taxes.
- The organizations financial health is sound with a balanced budget, a healthy endowment and support from a variety of funding streams.
About Our Employees
- We currently have 25 employees, 10 of whom are full time, and the rest are part time.
- We have 3 full time licensed providers: Kim Saunders DO (Doctor of Osteopathy), Jen Desmond FNP (Family Nurse Practitioner) and Jim Hogan PA (Physician’s Assistant). Kim Saunders is our Medical Director and Jen Desmond is our Clinical Director.
- We are bound by very strict laws that do not permit us to share information about our employees or our clients with the public.
- To our knowledge, all of our Providers intend to remain with the organization for the foreseeable future.
About Our Future
- The organization is presently undergoing a significant restructuring.
- A new Executive Director, Cameron (Cam) Garrett has been hired with a start date of June 7th. She comes with 20+ years of service in leadership roles in health care in several African countries as well as Maine. Cam will be relocating to Vinalhaven.
- Our interim director came out of retirement to assist during the transition and has 30 years as an executive in a large health and human service nonprofit. Claudia and her partner Doug are year round residents of Vinalhaven.
- We have begun strategic planning with the support of a consultant, Carole Martin, who has worked with many well-known and well-respected nonprofit organizations throughout Maine. Our planning process began recently with staff participation and will continue to involve staff and board members working together with input from the community at large.